General Musing

blaze your trail

Barack Obama’s LinkedIn account to be restricted #linkedin

with 18 comments

LinkedIn Logo

I’m a great fan of , although it still has some issues. The 2008 report on Social Network Downtime from pingdom states:

LinkedIn’s downtime has been increasing over the year. Each quarter has seen a larger amount of downtime than the one before it. 63% of its downtime took place during the second half of 2008.

LinkedIn seems to be on a trend toward increasing amounts of downtime, […] and even clearer in the quarterly breakdown. 63% of its downtime took place during the second half of 2008.

Read more articles about

LinkedIn is suffering under it’s own success, as can be seen in the statistics below the number of daily visitors to the LinkedIn website is increasing steadily. Downtime caused by visitors that could easily be solved with more machines and better caching for the users with 10 or 20+ connections. It’s not those users who are causing most of the problems according to sources within LinkedIn. The users who are causing the problems are users who are part of the Top 50, and users such as , who has 25,000+ connections. LinkedIn just wasn’t designed with open networkers, such as those, in mind and it was certainly not designed to cope with Super Connectors such as Barack Obama. LinkedIn recently put in place a cap on the number of connections that a LinkedIn subscriber can have, even on the number of contacts you can have in your personal address book or on the number of groups you can join.

and had such virtual caps in place before Robert Scoble broke through the barrier, and LinkedIn should be happy that Scoble isn’t a LinkedIn super connector like Barack Obama. At one point, people with 500+ connections were deemed to have a lot of connections – but now there are many with 1,000, 2,000 or 5,000 connections – and this number is increasing every day.

An uproar similar to the one that recently occurred on FaceBook was quashed by LinkedIn in the last part of 2008, business networkers don’t have the time to organize like social networkers. Yet they are facing issues similar to social networkers. And to cap it all Barack Obama will no longer be able to accept your invitation to connect once he hits the 30,000 mark.

And the list of issues that LinkedIn’s customers are facing is growing:

1. Poor Customer Service
  2. Architectural / Site performance issues
  3. Inconsistencies & unavailability with various parts of the site
  4. Group limitations (There are so many groups one can belong to – and get invited to)
  5. Group size limitations (Groups are leaving LinkedIn and setting up shop in other locations)
  6. Security (Needing to login and then supply a captcha to make it difficult to automatically download your own contacts list)
  7. Identity theft issues (At present, anyone can create a profile in any name – many pretending to be celebrities, politicials, etc)

Personally I believe the issues with LinkedIn’s downtime will continue if they don’t look at their architecture and prepair for the future. It may all be working today, but what about tomorrow or next week?

Social network downtime in 2008
Is LinkedIn having scaling issues?

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , ,

Image Source: LinkedIn

Written by Daniël W. Crompton (webhat)

February 23, 2009 at 5:37 pm

18 Responses

1. […] General Musing added an interesting post on Barack Obamaâ […]

2. I’ve been getting a number of interesting reactions by mail, I’ll post an update asap.

webhat

February 24, 2009 at 10:32 am

3. Really interesting piece. Recently I have seen Linked In to have been steadily making changes in the background. I for one really like the direction they seem to be steadily going in. There seems to be a bit of a war going on between those that want to use their huge customer base as their personal marketing database and those that want to keep it at a smaller scale. IMHO I think LI have got it about right and their growing customer base must surely vouch for that in some way. I think one of the reasons for all the bad press is that the Linked customer database is a very valuable one.

sincerely
    robin

Robin Greaves

February 26, 2009 at 7:54 pm

4. It has its problems to be sure, but since most of us aren’t paying a dime to belong, can we really complain too much? I’ve made some great contacts and hooked up colleagues for jobs…pretty good for a free site.

If I paid, I’d be ticked…now I just deal.

Lindsay

February 26, 2009 at 9:04 pm

5. I pay and have been able to make great connections to benefit others. So far the best part for me, though, has not been getting business but getting back in touch.

Joy Montgomery

February 26, 2009 at 11:04 pm

6. Its free! You get what you pay for!

lovestats

February 27, 2009 at 12:44 pm

• True, you get what you pay for. And what about people who do pay for it?

webhat

February 27, 2009 at 2:46 pm

7. A few comments from a Linker……

1) Linkedin has 350 employees and 36 Million users. How would you suggest rolling out a support system without breaking the bank?

-Many support issues can be resolved by using the HELP feature. It is really well done. Also try leveraging the info @ learn.linkedin.com

4) You may own 10 groups and you may participate in up to 50. The idea is that a group should be relevant to you. The member should be able to add something back to the group not just make a lame attempt at using groups as marketing databases to spam other members.

6) Security- Others would complain Linkedin had no security to protect from automated data gathering if Captcha was not in place

7) Linkedin removes thousands of fake profiles each month

I work with Linkedin users each day and 90% of all questions relate to not understanding the features or not knowing about the available options in accounts and settings.

Linker

February 28, 2009 at 3:07 pm

• Hi Brian,

just a quick comment:
      1) You are completely right!
      4) Some of the groups I belong to are associated with websites I belong to, being LinkedIn to to website I should be able to be LinkedIn to the members on LinkedIn.🙂
      6) The captcha isn’t placed where it protects me, it’s placed so I can’t download my own csv file with my contacts automatically. I need to manually import them. As I said I just proved my identity by logging in with my credentials, I don’t understand why I need to fill in a captcha to download my contact list? In the security field I’m no novice, as you can see if you look at my LinkedIn profile. (Daniel W. Crompton)
      7) Noted.

BTW Brian, are you really on LinkedIn? I tried the email address you added to your post so I could find you and it wasn’t in the LinkedIn database. You know you can have multiple email addresses attached to your LinkedIn profile.

webhat

February 28, 2009 at 4:05 pm

8. Yes, Daniel I am on Linkedin and have been a avid user since December 2004. The email I have provided is not associated with my profile intentionally.

4) You may directly contact any other group member. To link you must both accept as you know.

6) Linkedin does not allow any automated data gathering. This is one reason why Capthca was installed. Its hard to tell a bad from good automated data tool. To prevent spam its easier to prevent all.

Best regards,

Brian

Linker

March 1, 2009 at 5:27 am

• You’ve really been on LinkedIn since 2004 and haven’t discovered the power of groups? LinkedIn groups are fantastic, they allow you to add many people effectively making them your first degree contacts without the need to get all their mail addresses manually put them in and use valuable invites. I understand why LinkedIn would prefer to have people link directly to other people, rather than by way of a group because groups are so powerful, and the invite system gives LinkedIn power over their users. This is why there is a limit on the number of groups and the number of members in a group. I have a limited number of invites, and though I know I can get more invites when I ask for them I am very careful who I invite because I don’t want to waste them on people who don’t want to be connected to me.

I can already guarantee that I get into the mailbox of people, if I wanted to spam them I could just as easily update my profile with spam and have the spam send directly to all my contacts by LinkedIn. Adding one manual step for downloading you contacts is not going to prevent spam, besides from the fact that Captchas can be bypassed quite simply by computer or using a Mechanical Turk. Rather than LinkedIn putting effort into crippling their website with ineffective security controls, let them put effort into serving their customers better.

webhat

March 1, 2009 at 1:08 pm

9. I am a group advocate and I belong to several. As a group owner you are able to see a users email address in a group. If you are simply a member you can not see the other members email address unless you are also 1st degree connection. Linkedin does allow you to message another group member directly.

Linker

March 2, 2009 at 7:14 pm

10. please remove the last post a IM came in an auto sumbitted

Linker

March 2, 2009 at 7:31 pm

11. Really interesting stuff. Just bookmarked this page with digg!

Fredric Arancibia

June 10, 2010 at 12:37 pm

12. […] I surprise myself with my ability to choose good post titles. Let’s take the post “Barack Obama’s LinkedIn account to be restricted #linkedin“, posted in February 2009 it consistently nets me at least between 10 and 20 hits a week. I […]

13. Umm I don’t know about that one. Seems unlikely to me

Lynwood Betthauser

November 30, 2010 at 11:14 am

14. Sin embargo, quizás no hayas reparado hasta el momento, en el hecho de que este simple truco
    puede, por sí mismo, quitarte unos cuántos kilos de más.

Sol

November 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Please Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s